Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Overwhelming Gratitude


madelynn newborn photo by nichelle lawrence

Daughters...
When the little girls danced on stage to Amazing Grace by the Cherokee National Children's Chior, tears started rolling down my face. I watched as my two very healthy and vibrant daughters danced with grace and strength under heavenly blue lights. I felt an overwhelming sense of gratitude for their health and for the opportunity to share such a powerful and creative experience with them by my side the whole time. They are both life-saving angels.

Dance partner...
When I saw Christi in the dark in the wings on the other side of the stage with her shoulders down and back, neck long and arms full of energy...prepared and ready to meet me in the middle. I teared up with gratitude for such an incredible dance partner and friend. She is such a woman! I am so grateful for her sisterhood and incredible stamina.

A best friend...
As pictures started to project on the screen in black and white and beauty filled the theater in a wave of silence and awe, I cried tears of gratitude for Nichelle Lawrence, my best gal-friend. Her photos were even more beautiful than I remembered in our last rehearsal. To share her work alongside mine was such a moment. It settled into my gut really strong how important it is to nurture my friendships over long periods of time. Our trust and bond is too deep to put into words. I am so grateful for her.

The audience...
When the crowd stood up in applause, tears sprang from my eyes. Are they really standing up? Is this really happening? Was it good? Did it move you? I am so grateful you came!!!! Thank you for your time and your energy!!! So good to see you again!!! I am humbled before your presence.

Gram...
When my 85-year old Gram brought me flowers with tears rolling down her face...I have never felt more proud and happy. I am so grateful that she was healthy enough to be at my first staged production. I am so grateful she taught me to be such a firecracker. She is my red hot chili pepper.

Moon Belly Warriors...
When the curtain closed and I turned around to see 30 performers at my back. I thought, "where did all of these dance warriors come from? When did I gain such an incredible company? How am I so lucky?" Gratitude poured from my heart like fire from a volcano. My heart chakra flew open and all I could feel was love.

My students...
When the Moon Belly student troupe brought me cards and a spa gift certificate after the show...I was in shock. I love all of them so much. Each and every women in that group is beautiful in her very own unique and glorious way. I can see so much potential in each one of them. I am so grateful to get to witness their blossoming. The next morning when I read the cards I sat on my front porch and cried. I just cried. I am so grateful for such hard working, open, honest and inspiring students. I learn from them much much more from them than I can ever teach them.

The DragonFlies...
DeeDee's back massage before I went on stage and a little whisper, "Look what you've created. This is all you. Enjoy it!" Thank you. Megan's optimism as she says to me, "Don't worry, everything is going to be great. Let it go!" Thank you. Jeni's assuring smiles in the darkness in between costume changes. Thank you. The DragonFlies are amazing. I have so much gratitude for each of you.

No comments: